Piute State Park


Robert D. Young, who also built the nearby Otter Creek dam, built Piute Reservoir on the main fork of the Sevier River in 1908. Both the reservoir and county are named for the Native Americans who dominated this area at one time. The state legislature changed the original spelling, from Paiute (the Native American people) to Piute.

Piute State Park was constructed on the northwest part of Piute Reservoir. The state park was opened to the public in 1963. Common activities in the area include fishing, hunting, OHV riding, water skiing, and other water sports. Piute State Park has a primitive campground as well as a boat ramp and day-use shade shelters. Pit toilets are also available.

Park Elevation:  5,900 feet