OHV Access & Education Grant – FAQ

Who qualifies?

Nonprofit organizations that are tax exempt under 501(c)(3) who have at least one full-time employee and has as a primary part of its mission to:

  • protect access to public lands by motor vehicle operators; or
  • educate the public about appropriate off-highway vehicle use. 

What qualifies?

Access and Education projects.

What is the duration this grants is open for?

This grant application is open for 30 days. It opens April 1st and closes on Saturday, May 1st at 5:00 p.m. MST.

How much can we request?

The total funding allocated for this grant is $17,500.00 for Fiscal Year (FY) 21.

Do you require a match?

This grant application does not require any matching funds!

I am part of a non-profit, but am not incorporated in Utah. Can we apply?

Yes! Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

If you are a 501(c)(3), we request proof of land-management agency permission, nonprofit status, most recent bylaws, approved board meeting minutes for which funding is supported and supporting financial documentation.

Note: Funding must be utilized in UTAH. Also, please include these documents even if your organization has received state funds in the past.

My application pertains solely to snowmobiles, can I still apply?

Yes! This grant comes from the people of Utah who choose to donate $2.00 when they register their vehicle. It goes into the OHV general fund and can be utilized for both wheel and sled-related projects.

Who decides which grant applications to fund?

Submitted applications will be reviewed by OHV Program staff. All applications that meet the requirements may be given some form of funding. Once staff has reviewed the applications, their recommendations will be vetted through the Board of Utah State Parks and Recreation for final review before awarding applicants.

What is the review process like? Are applications rated on a scale?

Applications are either recommended or not recommended. If an application and 501(c)(3) meet all of the requirements, then they will be funded. If multiple non-profit 501(c)(3)s apply, the money will be distributed evenly.

I have applied for a grant, when will a decision be made about the grant recipient(s)? When would funding start?

Funding will begin in June 2021. The Board of Utah State Parks and Recreation will make final decisions on May 20, 2021. Approved applicants will be contacted after the board meeting has commenced.

Where does the funding come from?

The funding came from you! When a Utah resident registers any motor vehicle, they are asked if they would like to donate $2.00 towards the Off-highway Access and Education Restricted Account. Therefore we are seeking eligible proposals and the total annual grant amount is $17,500.00!

Is there a specific time of day when applications are due?

Yes, applications are due Saturday, May 1,2021 at 5:00 p.m. You may submit them electronically to, otherwise, they may be delivered by hand or mailed to:

Rachel Toker

Utah Division of Parks and Recreation

PO Box 146001

Salt Lake City, UT  84114-6001

Please note that if you mail your application close to the deadline, it MUST be time-stamped prior to 5 p.m.

Can I change my application after it has been submitted?

You may alter your application if it is submitted prior to the due date. Once the deadline has passed, you are unable to alter your application.