Click on the section links below to find answers to frequently asked questions associated with our OHVR Grant. If you don’t see the answer to your question, please contact the OHV Grant Administrator through our Contact Us sidebar.

Applying For a Grant

The Grant Review Process

After A Grant Has Been Awarded, (Or Not)

Closeout Documents & Questions

Other Questions

Applying For a Grant

What grant falls under State OHV Grants?

We currently offer one state OHV grant opportunity. A bi-annual OHV Recreation Grant is commonly referenced as OHVR.

As of 6/1/22 the Division of Outdoor Recreation Off-highway Vehicle Program no longer offers a Quarterly OHV Recreation grant. Going forward, this grant will take place twice a year (bi-annual). This grant will be open during the Spring and Summer.

Who qualifies?

OHV Recreation grants may be submitted by any

  • Federal Agencies
  • State Agencies
  • Political Subdivisions of the State
  • Off-highway vehicle (OHV) organizations are incorporated as nonprofit corporations in the state under Title 16, Chapter 6a (Utah Revised Nonprofit Corporation Act), for the purpose of promoting the interests of OHV recreation.

What qualifies?

The OHV Recreation (OHVR) grant can fund a wide range of projects as they benefit OHV recreation. Projects fit predominantly under one of the following categories:

1. OHVR funds may be spent on the construction, improvement, operation, acquisition, or maintenance of publicly owned or -administered OHV facilities (including infrastructure). This trail work & acquisition may include; the development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities, the purchase and lease of trail construction and maintenance equipment, the acquisition of property for trails/trailheads, and the assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance. Projects that consist predominately of trail work will be scored more competitively during the recommendation process.

2. OHVR funds may be spent on access protection, such as participating in federal travel-planning processes by OHV organizations, the State of Utah, and its subsidiaries. ONLY counties and political subdivisions of the state can apply for access protection and MUST work with our partnering agency, Public Lands Policy Coordinating Office (PLPCO). A letter of support MUST be submitted from PLPCO.

3. OHVR funds may be spent on search and rescue (SAR), such as the goods and services that SAR teams need for an effective response to OHV-related incidences.

4. OHVR funds may be spent on education, such as the development and dissemination of publications and the operation of educational programs that promote safety, courtesy, and resource conservation related to OHV trails (including non-law enforcement trail safety and trail-use monitoring patrol programs).

What is the duration grants are open for?

Applications are open for two (2) months.

  • SPRING: Opens February 1 at 9 a.m., and closes on March 31 at 5 p.m.
  • SUMMER: Opens June 1 at 9 a.m., and closes on July 31 at 5 p.m.

OPENING AND CLOSING DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON THE DAY OF THE WEEK. If a date falls on a weekend, OHVR will open or close the following Monday at the assigned time.

Please submit OHV Recreation grant applications electronically through our online grant portal.

How much can we request?

Due to annual funding limits, applicants can request $350,000 per application. Additional funding will be reviewed and awarded on a project-by-project basis.

Do you require a 50/50 match like the Recreation Trails Program (RTP) grant?

We do not require a 50/50 match. Beginning December 1, 2021, the OHV Program will require MATCHING FUNDS from all applications. Projects that provide at least a 25% match will be scored more competitively. If a project is not predominantly OHV-related, OHVR has the ability to fund the OHV portion of the proposal.

Can an individual apply?

No. We award grants to eligible nonprofit 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) organizations, organizations using a nonprofit fiscal agent, and municipal or government agencies only.

My organization is part of a statewide or national organization. Can we still apply?

Yes, you can. Off-highway vehicle (OHV) organizations incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in the state under Title 16, Chapter 6a (Utah Revised Nonprofit Corporation Act) for the purpose of promoting the interests of OHV recreation are allowed to apply.

I am part of a non-profit but am not incorporated in Utah. Can we apply?

Unfortunately, no, if you are a nonprofit, you MUST be incorporated in Utah. We request proof of land-management agency permission, nonprofit status (proof that your organization was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation and is currently registered), most recent bylaws, approved board meeting minutes for which funding is supported, and supporting financial documentation. 

Note: Please include these documents even if your organization has received state funds in the past.         

We are a volunteer organization operating under the town. Is a town eligible to apply for a grant?

Yes, they are a subsidiary of the state.

Why do you require a substitute project manager?

We require a substitute or secondary project manager for a number of reasons: in case OHV staff is unable to contact the primary project manager, the primary manager leaves the organization, unforeseen circumstances arise, etc.

Who can sign as a substitute project manager?

The substitute project manager should be an individual from the applying organization who has the authority to sign and is aware of the project. They must also be willing to take over and complete the project should the primary be unable to.

What if my grant falls under multiple categories?

Please choose the category that you believe will best fit your project. We have limited funding for certain categories and this may cause us to decline funding, depending on our budget. Checking multiple categories does NOT make an application more competitive, and most projects fit predominantly into a single category.

What if I applied for another grant outside of the Division, can I show that as a match?

Yes, please do! Please include this information in your proposal and detail how you intend to fund the application if you do not receive funding for the other grant(s) outside the Division.

What if my project is related to OHV and non-motorized recreation, can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply. However, the percentage or amount of the project that is not related to OHVs must be funded by the project sponsor. Funding for this grant comes from OHV registration dollars and therefore, cannot fund any non-motorized projects or items.

 My application pertains solely to snowmobiles, can I still apply?

Yes! Beginning February 2023, OHVR grant will offer funding for snowmobile projects.

What qualifies as a valid match?

A match can be any of the following: in-kind donations of cash, materials, supplies, volunteer hours, equipment, land, right of ways (ROW), easements, or donated supplies. You may also match with other grant money outside of the OHV Program. More information can be found under the Closeout section.

The Grant Review Process

Who decides which grant applications to fund?

Submitted applications are reviewed and evaluated by Utah’s Off-highway Vehicle Advisory Council (OHVAC), which consists of a committee of appointed volunteers across the state of Utah. Once the Council has reviewed the applications, their recommendations will be vetted through the Outdoor Adventure Commission for final review before awarding applicants.

The OHV Program’s staff supports the work of the committee.     

What is the review process like? Are applications rated on a scale?

Yes, applicants are rated on a scale. The OHV Advisory Council scores each applicant individually before the review meeting and then reviews and scores them together. If the majority vote in favor, the application is recommended.

Please review the Evaluation Sheet on the OHVR grant page for a better understanding of what the OHV Advisory Council is looking for when reviewing applications.

I applied for a grant, when will a decision be made about the grant recipient(s)? When would funding start?

Notification will go out 4-6 weeks after the grant closing date. This may vary depending on the time of year. Funding will begin once a State of Utah Contract is in place with the Utah Division of Outdoor Recreation.

How will I be contacted to find out if I received funding for my grant?

We will primarily utilize email or our online grant portal to communicate with all applicants. Be sure to check email regularly, including spam folders. Email updates to all applicants will generally come from

Please be responsive throughout every step of the grant process, even after your organization has received funding.

Why does it take so long to make a decision and award grants?

We recognize that it can be difficult to wait a long time to get a response about grant proposals that have been submitted and have streamlined parts of our review process. We are committed to having a transparent process, and always let grant seekers know the timeline and expected announcement dates. Our State OHV Grant review process can take four weeks to two months from submission to decision. In some cases, another month is required to confirm the budget and outcomes for an approved project.

After A Grant Has Been Awarded, (Or Not)

Our organization was awarded a grant, what are the next steps?

Once a grant has been recommended by the OHV Advisory Council, it is presented before the Outdoor Adventure Commission for final review and approval. State of Utah Contracts will then be emailed to the Project Managers 1-3 business days after the Outdoor Adventure Commission meets. After the contract has been signed by the Project Manager, the Division Director signs off on the grant and the contract is sent to finance and assigned a contract number.

When an official contract is in place, grant work can commence. Our OHV staff will contact you with more information on how to proceed.

Grant recipients can request partial funding (up to 75%) before the completion of the project. The remaining funds will be mailed once a complete project closeout has been reviewed by staff.

Can we begin work before a contract is in place?

No project work or associated items can begin until a State of Utah Contract is in place with the Utah Division of Outdoor Recreation. Funds spent toward the project before a contract was in place cannot count as a match, and cannot be paid from grant funds.

Our grant request was denied the last cycle, why?

Please remember that it is discouraging to have to say “no” to good people doing important work. Applications are usually not turned down because they are “bad” applications. Occasionally, an application will be missing required material, please double-check your application and make sure to include all of the items on the application checklist.

Some applications fall outside the bounds of our guidelines and the Council will find itself unable to help, (please read the guidelines carefully before you invest the time and energy in making an application). Generally, it is the case of the competition being very tough.

Is feedback available for declined proposals?

Yes! We will notify you if your proposal was declined. Our State OHV Grant Administrator is more than willing to work with you and explain the reasoning for the declined proposal.

If I was denied previously, can I submit the same application again?

Yes, you can. If you have questions as to why your application was denied, please reach out to the Division’s OHV Grant Administrator. If you re-submit the application without changes, the Council may not recommend it. 

If an organization applies and is declined, will that hurt its chances of receiving funds in the future?

No. Each year there are many organizations the OHV Advisory Council is unable to fund. Some organizations do successfully receive a grant after having been initially declined. If your organization is declined, you may wish to contact our OHV Grant Administrator before submitting a new proposal to determine if your request fits within the application’s criteria.

Closeout Documents & Questions

What closeout documents do I need/do you provide?

Once a State of Utah Contract is in place, our OHV Grant Administrator will contact you with more information on how to proceed. A closeout packet will also be provided and can be downloaded below.

Maintaining sound financial records and transaction documentation is critical for ensuring that the correct information is reported to the Division of Outdoor Recreation Off-highway Vehicle Program. The organization is not required to use the provided closeout documents, they are examples of what the OHV Program requires for accurate records; you may alter/create them as the organization sees fit.

All grant funds AND match funds must be spent on the scope of work as defined in your budget

  1. Closeout Packet – Combined PDF of #2-9
  2. Instructions
  3. Timeline
  4. Closeout Overview (required)
  5. Reimbursement Request Form (required)
  6. Volunteer Timesheet (required for applicants with volunteer in-kind match)
  7. Personnel Timesheet (required for applicants with personnel in-kind match)
  8. Budget (required)
  9. Equipment Cost List – For reference only

Closeout Packet forms in Excel

What does each cost category mean on the Billing Statement (#4)?


Donations: The use of donations as part of the entire sponsor’s match should be indicated in the project’s scope of work.

Donations are cash, real property (see below for more info), equipment, and materials from sources independent of the project sponsor. Sales tax and shipping & handling (S&H) can also be accounted for here. The use of donations must be a necessary part of the project proposal and occur during the project period. Use of the project sponsor’s real property does not constitute a donation.

Volunteer: If community volunteer services are donated to your project, record it appropriately using a sign-in sheet. This includes hourly rate & volunteer equipment. Standard est. Volunteer Rate in Utah is $29.95 per hour.

Personnel: The time of your organization’s full-time staff that is directly related to the approved project scope may be reported as a match but is NOT a reimbursable cost. The reportable amount is the employee’s regular hourly rate of pay, excluding taxes, benefits, and overtime. Accurate time records must be maintained daily. Lump-sum hours for more than one day will not be accepted.

Cash: This is for cash matches made by the project sponsor and is also a catch-all for any categories not listed above.


Material & Supplies: Include consumable items (e.g. lumber, tools, surface materials, trail signage required for the project.

Equipment: Include machinery, safety equipment, equipment leases, rentals, etc.

Real Property: Includes the lease or purchase of land, right of ways (ROW), easements, structures (including modular units affixed to the real property), and appurtenances. It does not include moveable machinery and equipment.

Other & Miscellaneous Costs: This includes, but is not limited to, equipment repairs, travel, publication costs, training, consultant fees, or other anticipated direct project charges not included in other budget categories.

What is the eligibility and value of donations?

The value of donations charged to the project should be determined as follows:

PERSONNEL – The value of labor or personnel donations is the hourly wage rate of the project sponsor’s employees. The rate which may be charged for skilled workers, working in their trade, is the actual wage these workers are normally paid for their labor. In both cases, only base wage rates are allowable, exclusive of any fringe benefits. Timesheets should include the date, hours worked, type of work performed, worker’s signature, and supervisor’s signature. Timesheets are available in the closeout packet and upon request from the Division of Outdoor Recreation.

EQUIPMENT – Rates for donated equipment used on the project may not exceed its fair rental rate. Hourly rates may be based on the current Equipment Cost List (provided), Utah Department of Transportation Equipment Codes, Classes, and Rental Rates, or a rental rate guidebook that provides regional average rates for construction equipment may be used. Timesheets are also available and are filled out in the same manner as donated labor.

MATERIAL – The allowable amounts charged for donations of materials may not exceed market value. This is defined as the amount these materials would be sold for in the area at the time of the donation. Documentation should include a signed statement from the donor describing the donations and their market value. An independent statement of market value given by a dealer or vendor may also be required.

REAL PROPERTY – May only be used as a donation on projects identified in the application as a land acquisition with a commitment of a land donation. The value of the donated real property is based upon an approved appraisal prepared by a qualified appraiser. In order for a donation of real property to be eligible as a match for grant assistance, the project sponsor may not accept the title prior to the approval of the project agreement.

Where can I find my grant’s contract number?

You can find the grant’s contract number on the top of the first page of the State of Utah Contract. Utah’s Finance Department assigns this number and the Division uses it to track and make payments toward the project.

What is my project’s billing period?

The billing period start date is the effective date under the section labeled Contract Period on the State of Utah Contract. The billing period is the termination date or the last date work was conducted on the project.

What if we come in under budget?

If the project comes under budget, the agreed-upon % match must be met.

Example: If a project was funded at $1,000, with a 50% match, but the final cost is only $500 – 50% of the $500 ($250) match would be required.

Note: The project sponsor might be required to return a portion of the initial partial payment if the project comes in under budget.

What is the remaining reimbursement and how do we get it?

This is the amount of funding requested upon closeout. If the organization received a partial payment (75% of the total OHVR funding), ≤ 25% of the remaining funding can be requested. It might be <25% if the project comes in under budget.

If the organization does not spend the full OHVR funding, it will not receive the full reimbursement; even if they exceed the agreed-upon match.

Please fill out all of the required documents upon closeout to receive the remaining or full reimbursement of funds.

What if we cannot complete the project by the deadline, can we get an extension?

Yes, we do allow modifications on grant timelines. In order to do this, you will need to contact OHV Grant Administrator, Rachel Toker, for further steps. All modification requests must be vetted through the Division Director.

What if we need to modify our budget or scope of work?

Please contact OHV Grant Administrator, Rachel Toker. If an organization wants to modify its budget, it must submit an updated budget and a formal request on letterhead. Further steps will then be taken.

A modified scope of work must be reviewed and approved by the Division Director. A formal request on letterhead must be submitted in addition to an updated budget sheet (if applicable). Once approved by the Council, further steps will be taken.

All modification requests must be vetted through the Division Director.

Other Questions

Where does the funding come from?

HB143 in the 2018 General Session, takes OHV registration fees (did not affect snowmobile registration fees). These fees cannot exceed $35.00 for an OHV and no more than $72.00 for Street-Legal ATVs This went into effect on January 1, 2019.

With this influx of additional money to the Program’s restricted fund, the Division of Outdoor Recreation has approved a new grant program that may be utilized throughout Utah.

Can I change my application after it has been submitted?

Yes, as long as the changes are submitted before the application’s closing date/time.

Is there a specific time of day when applications are due?

Yes, all applications are due no later than 5 p.m. Exceptions will not be made for late applications.

I am waiting on 1-2 letters of support, can those be submitted after the deadline?

Beginning 6/1/2022, late letters of support will no longer be accepted.

Can I submit an application late?

No, we will not accept applications submitted after the deadline. If you miss the deadline you are encouraged to apply during the next grant cycle.

Applications are open for two (2) months.

  • SPRING: Closes March 31 at 5 p.m.
  • SUMMER: Closes July 31 at 5 p.m.

OPENING AND CLOSING DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON THE DAY OF THE WEEK. If a date falls on a weekend, OHVR will open or close the following Monday at the assigned time.

How/where can I submit my application?

You can only submit applications through our online grant portal.

I have a question on how to fill out the application, who can I contact?

Please contact our State OHV Grant Administrator, Please understand that we will only suggest alterations and we will not write the application for you. Please do your research before reaching out to us.

What are your funding priorities?

OHVR’s funding priorities are Trail Work and Access Protection grants. State OHV funds may be spent on the construction, improvement, operation, acquisition, or maintenance of publicly-owned or administered OHV facilities (including infrastructure). This trail work may include the development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities, the purchase and lease of trail construction and maintenance equipment, the acquisition of property for trails/trailheads, and the assessment of trail conditions for accessibility and maintenance.

What is the difference between letters of commitment and letters of support?

A letter of commitment (a formal binding agreement between a lender and a borrower) should come from funding sources.

Letters of support demonstrate the credibility of the applicant and are an outside testimonial that backs up an applicant’s claim.

Our operating budget is extremely large, do you want us to submit all of it or just the portion that relates to our application?

Please show your match for the portion that relates to the application. If you include the entire budget as your match, you will need to send all matching information to us when your grant is being closed out.

Will the fact that my organization has received many years of funding from the OHV Program be a favorable factor in this competitive environment?

Not necessarily. Some organizations have received support for many years because of the unique nature of their direct services in the community. If the OHV Advisory Council believes it is important to ensure that this work is continued, a new grant may be looked upon favorably. The OHV Advisory Council will consider past performance when evaluating a new request, regardless of whether or not the organization has been previously funded.

Can my organization apply for a new grant if a current grant is already underway? 

Yes, you can apply even if you have a current grant underway. The OHV Advisory Council will consider open grants when recommending applications. If an organization applies for multiple grants but has a history of incomplete grants or funds not being utilized before their deadline, this may influence the Council’s decision to recommend the application. 

Can I apply for more than one grant? Or multiple Division of Outdoor Recreation grants?

Yes! You can apply for multiple grants; there is no limit. The application does have a section that asks for a history of grant submissions with the Division, please keep this in mind when applying.

How can I increase my organization’s chances of being funded?

You should ensure that your organization meets the application criteria, follows guidelines, submits a complete application, and is responsive throughout the review process. Even if your organization is eligible and responsive, the OHV Program cannot guarantee that a grant will be funded.

Can I submit my application before the closing date for review?

Yes, you can! Our SOHV Grant Administrator, is willing to review applications no later than 5 p.m. on the 15th of the grant cycle’s closing month. Please submit your application through our online grant portal for early review. After it is submitted, the applicant will still have the capability of editing their submission until the grant closes.