Off-Highway Vehicles

OHV Education FAQs

NOTICE: The Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Progam is no longer a part of the Utah Division of State Parks and will now be managed within the Utah Division of Outdoor Recreation. The content of this webpage will be removed shortly. Please visit for updated information.

My family is coming from out of state or county. Does my child need to get a Utah education certificate?

You must possess the equivalent of an OHV education certificate from your state as well as a driver’s license. If you do not have the equivalent, you must complete Utah’s OHV education course. You can take it online and once completed, print out a temporary certificate valid for 60 days or until your permanent one arrives.

What are Utah’s passenger age restrictions, helmet laws, and car seat laws on SxS or UTVs? 

There are no age restriction laws in Utah for passengers on SxS/UTVs. There are no helmet laws for UTVs and no laws mandating a carseat in a UTV for passengers under a certain age. The Division recommends proper headgear and appropriate safety restraints be worn whenever possible, but ultimately it is up to the operator’s best judgment. 

My child is under the age of 18 and does not possess a driver’s license. What does Utah require for them to legally operate an OHV? 

A person under age 18 may not operate and an owner may not permit that person to operate an off-highway vehicle on any Utah public land, trail, street, or highway unless the person can reach and operate each control necessary to safely operate the off-highway vehicle. The person must also possess a safety certificate issued or approved by the division, or a valid drivers license to operate a motor vehicle. The person must be under the direct supervision of someone who is at least 18 years of age.

Can someone under the age of 16 operate a street-legal machine? Or someone who does not possess a valid driver’s license?

As long as the youth has obtained an OHV Education certificate they may operate any machine (other than a snowmobile, which requires a snowmobile OHV education certificate) regardless of the status of the machine. If they intend to operate the machine on a roadway, they must be 16 years of age and possess a valid driving license.

My child lost their OHV education certificate, how do I get a new one?

If you click here, it will lead you to the OHV Education Replacement Certificate Form. A replacement costs $2.  Please fill out your information and email it to or mail it to:

Utah Division of State Parks and Recreation

1594 West North Temple Ste 116

Salt Lake City, UT 84114

Is there a Utah law that dictates how many passengers can be on an ATV?

There is no Utah law dictating what someone can and cannot do regarding passengers on off-highway vehicles. The Division does recommend people follow the guidelines of the manufacturer.

I am going to some Utah sand dunes. Do I need a whip flag for my machine or vehicle?

A red or orange flag that is a minimum of six by 12 inches must be attached to OHVs driven on sand dunes.

Does someone under the age of 18 need to wear a helmet when operating on public land?

A person under the age of 18 may not operate or ride on all-terrain type I vehicles, snowmobiles, or motorcycles on public land unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened, United States Department of Transportation safety rated protective headgear designed for motorized vehicle use. All-terrain type II vehicles (SxS & UTVs) do not require helmets, regardless of the age of the passenger or operator.

Does my child need to have an OHV education certificate to operate a snowmobile?

Anyone under the age of 18 who does not possess a valid driver’s license must take a snowmobile education course. This course is specific to snowmobiles.  An OHV education card for ATV/Motorcycles is not sufficient for operating a snowmobile.

For other questions or concerns, please contact us at