Off-Highway Vehicles

OHV Registration & Permits

In-State Residents

All OHVs must display a current OHV registration sticker when operated or transported on public lands or roads. Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal if they are safety inspected and insured. OHV registrations expire annually on the last day of the month the OHV was purchased.

Register Your In-State OHV With The DMV

Obtain registration from the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles.

Your OHV registration fees go directly back into the sport. Of the $18 collected from each registration ($22 collected for snowmobiles), $8.50 is dedicated to the improvement of summer and winter OHV opportunities; $2 is used for safety and responsible riding education; $4.00 goes to the Division of Motor Vehicles; $1.50 to school trust lands; $1 goes to electronic transaction fees; and $1.00 goes to the Utah Highway Patrol Aero Bureau.

Registration decals must be mounted in a visible location as follows:

Motorcycles – on the left fork
Snowmobiles – on the left side of the hood, pan or tunnel
All other off-highway vehicles – On the rear of the vehicle

Owners of OHVs used only for agricultural purposes may apply for an “implement of husbandry” sticker instead of registration decals. However, if the machine is used for recreation on public lands or roads, it must also be registered for that purpose.

Non-Resident Permits

Get Your Non-Resident Permit Here

If you’d rather pick one up in person, please visit one of our vendors and to purchase one face-to-face.

Remember to bring:

  • Proof of residency: driver’s license or other state issued identification.
  • Proof of ownership: title or current registration or bill of sale.

Owners of ATVs, off-highway motorcycles or snowmobiles, brought into Utah by non-residents, must obtain a non-resident permit for their machine. Some states offer reciprocity, meaning there is a mutual agreement between states not to charge non-residents fees.  Find out the status of your state!

To obtain a non-resident permit, you must provide proof of out-of-state residency and that the OHV is not owned by a Utah resident. Revenues generated from non-resident OHV user fees are dedicated to construction, improvement, operation and maintenance of OHV trails throughout Utah.

Street Legal OHV Requirements

Types of Street-legal ATV’s

An all-terrain vehicle that is a Type I or Utility Type Vehicle (UTV) may be inspected and registered as a Street-legal ATV. These types are defined as:

“All-terrain Type I Vehicle” means any motor vehicle 52 inches or less in width, having an unladen dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, traveling on three or more low pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator, and designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.

All-terrain Type I Vehicle
“Utility Type Vehicle” means any recreational vehicle designed for and capable of travel over unimproved terrain: traveling on four or more tires, having a width of 30 to 70 inches, having an unladen dry weight of 2,200 pounds or less, having a seat height of 25 to 40 inches when measured at the forward edge of the seat bottom, and having side by side seating with a steering wheel for control. “Utility type vehicle” does not include an all-terrain type I vehicle, an all-terrain type II vehicle, a motorcycle or a snowmobile.

Safety Inspection

A safety inspection must be completed before being registered for the first time, even if it is an exempt model year. After the first year of registration, the ATV must follow the current safety inspection frequency of every other year for the first eight years based off of the model year. After it is eight years old, it will be required to have a safety inspection every year. The safety inspection certificate, regardless if it is a paper or on-line certificate will have an ‘ATV’ watermark in the background. This watermark is present to assist the DMV with identifying the type of registration to process.


Every Street-legal ATV is required to be registered in order to operate under this new law. Upon registration, the ATV owner will be issued a license plate the same size as are issued to motorcycles.


Every ATV must be insured in order to operate as a street-legal ATV. The same insurance requirements that a “motor vehicle” must have also apply to Street-legal ATV’s.

Driver License

The same driver license requirements that a “motor vehicle” must have also apply to Street-legal ATV’s. (Class D Operator’s License)

Required Equipment
All-terrain vehicles may be inspected provided that they have been modified to be street legal. They shall be equipped with the following items, which shall comply with the regulations of the department (41-6a-1509).

a. One or more headlamps that meet the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1603.
b. One or more tail lamps.
c. A tail lamp or other lamp constructed and placed to illuminate the registration plate with a white light.
d. One or more red reflectors on the rear.
e. One or more stop lamps on the rear.
f. Amber or red electric turn signals, one on each side of the front and rear. Red turn signals are only allowed to be on the rear.
g. A braking system, other than a parking brake, that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1623.
h. A horn or other warning device that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1625.
i. A muffler and emission control system that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1626.
j. Rearview mirrors on the right and left side of the driver in accordance with U.C.A. 41-6a-1627. All-terrain Type I Vehicle requires only a left side mirror
and Utility Type Vehicle requires both a left side and right side mirror.
k. A windshield, unless the operator wears eye protection while operating the vehicle.
l. A speedometer, illuminated for nighttime operations.
m. Vehicles designed by the manufacturer for carrying one or more passengers, a seat designed for passengers, including a footrest and handhold for each
n. Vehicles with side by side seating, seatbelts for each vehicle occupant.
o. Must not be less than 30 inches in width or exceed 70 inches in width. Measurement must be taken at the widest point of the vehicle, including tires.
p. Drivers seat must not be less than 25 inches in height or exceed 40 inches in height. This measurement must be made from the ground to the top of the forward edge of the seating position when measured on a flat level surface.
q. The tire tread depth must be at least 2/32 inches or greater and the tires must not exceed 26 inches in height or be larger than the ATV manufacturer made available for the ATV model.

Operating Street-Legal ATVs
An operator of a street-legal all-terrain vehicle, when operating a street-legal all-terrain vehicle on a highway in accordance with this section, may not exceed the lesser of the posted speed limit or 45 miles per hour.

An operator of a street-legal all-terrain vehicle, when operating a street-legal all-terrain vehicle on a highway with a posted speed limit higher than 45 miles per hour, shall operate the street-legal all-terrain vehicle on the extreme right hand side of the roadway and shall equip the street-legal all-terrain vehicle with a reflector or reflective tape.

Unless a street or highway is designated as open for street-legal ATV use by the controlling highway authority in accordance with Section 41-22-10.5, a person may not operate a street-legal ATV on a street or highway if the highway is under the jurisdiction of a county of the first class, a municipality that is within a county of the first class; or a municipality with a population of 7,500 or more people. (Note: Salt Lake County is the only county of the first class.)

Nonresident Street Legal Requirements
A non resident operator who is authorized on highways in another state can operate as a street legal ATV in Utah, only if that state reciprocates a Utah street legal ATV on the other state’s highways.  The non resident operator, who is reciprocal to Utah, will need to have Utah’s required equipment before it can be operated as a street legal ATV.


Off-highway vehicles owned by an off-highway vehicle manufacturer and being operated exclusively for the purpose of an off-highway vehicle manufacturer sponsored event; provided that the operator of the vehicle has in his or her possession a letter or certificate issued by the manufacturer which contains the following information:

(1) The name, address and contact information of the off-highway vehicle manufacturer; and

(2) A physical description of the vehicle, including the vehicle identification number or another number assigned by the manufacturer for identification purposes; and

(3) A brief description of the manufacturer sponsored event, including the dates thereof; and

(4) The name of the authorized operator(s) and

(5) An authorized signature of a manufacturer’s representative.

Commercial Dealer Demo Pass

I am a commercial dealer and want to purchase the Commercial Dealer Demonstration Pass for $200. This permit entitles the dealer with one boat or OHV, trailer and towing vehicle and an additional vehicle with the potential purchasers, admittance to all Utah State Parks boating and OHV facilities. The permit does not include the $2 Davis County Causeway fee. This pass is good for commercial demonstration use only, and is non-transferable. The Commercial Dealer Pass is good for one year from the month purchased. A valid dealer registration is required to purchase the pass.

Download Commercial Dealer Demonstration Pass