- Mandatory Youth PWC Education Course
Your safety is our number one concern. All youth, 12 to 17 years of age, are required to complete and pass the Utah PWC Education Course* in order to operate a PWC, or personal watercraft (Jet Ski®, WaveRunner®, Sea-Doo®, etc.), on any water body in Utah. Children who are younger than 12, may not operate a PWC without a responsible adult onboard.
Youth 12 to 17 years of age may operate a PWC on their own under the following conditions:
- Successfully completed Utah's PWC Education Course*. Upon completion, a certificate is issued and must be in the operator's possession while operating a PWC.
- In addition to the education requirement, operators 12 through 15 years of age may only operate while under direct supervision of a responsible person who is at least 18 years of age.
- A person who is under 18 years of age who has not met the above requirements may not operate a PWC unless accompanied, on board, by a responsible person who is at least 18 years of age.
The Utah PWC Youth Education Course fee is $34.95 per student and must be passed only once. Students must be at least 12 years of age to complete the course. We strongly suggest that students thoroughly study the material prior to taking the test. If you fail the test, you will be able to retake the test at a later date. You will only need to pay for the course once the test has been passed. Upon completion of the course, and once the test has been passed and paid for, you will have the opportunity to print out a temporary safety certificate that will be valid immediately; you will then receive your permanent safety certificate in the mail.
Please choose one of the following links to take a Utah PWC Youth Education Course:
Replacement Certificate Form:
* Some states offer youth education classes that meet the Utah requirements and are therefore accepted here. Youth who have taken one of these classes in their home state must carry their certification on-board while operating a PWC in Utah.
- Voluntary Boating Course
We offer a boating safety and education home study course designed for boat operators and owners 16 years of age and older. However, Utah State Parks and Recreation will not accept certificates from these courses as meeting Utah's education course requirements for PWC operators from age 12 through 17.
Recent surveys indicate that over 80 percent of Utah's registered boat owners have not completed an education course. Utah's Boating Course is a simple and easy course to complete. Successful completion of Utah's Boating Course will increase your knowledge and participation in boating safety.
Some insurance companies may offer you a discount on your boat insurance just for having passed this course.
Take this course online:
The following internet based boating education and safety courses are recognized by Utah State Parks and Recreation as excellent learning tools to advance a person's knowledge of boating safely. They are approved by NASBLA and have correct information regarding Utah's boating laws and rules.
- www.BoaterExam.com (meets the reciprocity requirements for states that require mandatory boater education)
- www.boat-ed.com/ut (meets the reciprocity requirements for states that require mandatory boater education)
Take this course by mail:
To receive a copy of Utah's Boating Course by mail, provide us with your name and full mailing address; email us at: email@example.com.
For classroom and instructor-led courses, contact:
- Additional Links